Modelling and numerical simulation - considered to be the third pillar of the science after theory and experimentation - is at the heart of multiple domains, which are not only scientific, but also societal, economic, financial, and life ethics.They also appear increasingly as decision-making tools for critical cases like global warming, natural disasters, etc.
Since modelling and simulation are essential for multiple scientific advances, the control of all the aspects of high performance computing - as well as the capacity to exploit the masses of data to tackle the solution of these complex models - is inescapable.
The mission of the scientific computing center of the Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia is to develop and apply high-performance information technologies for science and society in Armenia and beyond, and to deliver scientifically excellent and industry relevant research in the fields of high performance computing.
The center's main visions are:
- Enhance the research profile of the IIAP by joining different scientific groups to employ state-of-the-art high performance computing tools to achieve their research goals.
- Maintain, develop and share many computational expertise to facilitate the working experience with distributed resources, support training and on-going help for users to enable them to use different computational resources in an easy manner.
- Manage a strategy for building a range of high performance computing environments, which will help research groups to use larger national and international facilities such Grid and Cloud computing resources.
- To develop scientific gateways and services to scientific communities using heterogeneous computing infrastructure (grid, clouds, HPC clusters, etc).
- To study and implement widely Green ICT in Armenia.
The EGI (European Grid Initiative) Foundation also known as EGI.eu, is a not-for-profit foundation established under Dutch law to coordinate and manage the EGI federation on behalf of its participants: National Grid Initiatives and European Intergovernmental Research Organisations.
GÉANT is the pan-European research and education network that interconnects Europe’s National Research and Education Networks (NRENs). Together, we connect over 50 million users at 10,000 institutions across Europe.
EU COST Action NESUS (Network for Sustainable Ultrascale Computing) Ultrascale systems are envisioned as large-scale complex systems joining parallel and distributed computing systems that will be two to three orders of magnitude larger that today’s systems.
The IRIT (Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse – Toulouse Institute of Computer Science Research) represents one of the major potential of the French research in computer science, with a workforce of more than 600 members including 250 researchers and teachers 244 PhD students, 14 post-doc and researchers under contract and also 43 engineers and administrative employees.
The Greek Research and Technology Network (GRNET S.A. ) mission is to provide high-quality Infrastructure and services to the academic, research and educational community of Greece, and to disseminate ICT to the general public. GRNET is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) provider, operating the Greek
The enviroSPACE laboratory , University of Geneva The enviroSPACE laboratory is dedicated to spatial analyses within the Institute for Environmental Sciences at the University of Geneva, as part of the Forel Institute, and in close collaboration with the Climatic Change and Climate Impacts group, the Ecology group, as well as the InfoGEO at the Geography department.
The National Institute for Research & Development in Informatics represents the most important Institute for research, development and innovation in Information Technology and Communications in Romania. ICI's mission is to consolidate its position and to develop scientific and technological support in the field of Information Technology & Communications.
The Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development (IERSD) is one of three Institutes of the National Observatory of Athens, the first Research Centre in Greece and the Balkans. The institute response to the modern environmental challenges for a sustainable future.
International Projects /last 5 years/
- 2017 – 2018 Research Data Alliance Europe. Persistent Identifier Services for the Life Science Community in Armenia. link
- 2016 – 2017 EC Erasmus+ Student mobility Programme between UPS-IRIT (Toulouse, France) and IIAP
- 2015 - 2018 European Commission Horizon2020 Programme, VI-SEEM (VRE for regional Interdisciplinary communities in Southeast Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean)
- 2015 - 2020 European Commission Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargements Negotiations, EaPConnect (Eastern Partnership Connect)
- 2015 - 2020 European Commission Horizon2020 Programme, GEANT2020 (GÉANT Research and Education Networking)
- 2013-2015 EC TEMPUS Modernization of Mathematics and Statistics curricula for Engineering and Natural Sciences studies in Georgian and Armenian Universities by introducing modern educational technologies (MATH-GEAR) - Coordinator Universität des Saarlandes, Germany
- 2013-2015 European Commission 7th Framework Programme, GN3+ (Multi-gigabit european research and education network and associated services)
- 2013-2014 Black Sea Economic Cooperation, Experimental Deployment of an Integrated Grid and Cloud Enabled Environment in BSEC Countries on the Base of g-Eclipse
- 2012-2015 European Commission 7th Framework Programme, INARMERA-ICT (Integrating Armenia into ERA: Information and Communication Technologies)
- 2011-2013 Swiss National Science Foundation (SCOPES 2009-2012), Deploying ARmenian distributed Processing capacities for Environmental GEOspatial data
- 2010-2014 European Commission 7th Framework Programme, EGI-InSPIRE (Integrated Sustainable Pan-European Infrastructure for Researchers in Europe)
- 2010-2013 European Commission 7th Framework Programme, High-Performance Computing Infrastructure for South East Europe’s Research Communities
- 2008-2010 European Commission 7th Framework Programme, South East European GRID eInfrastructure for Regional eScience
- 2008-2010 ISTC (International Scientific Technology Center) Nr. A-1606 Project, Development of Armenian-Georgian Grid Infrastructure and Applications in the Fields of High Energy Physics, Astrophysics and Quantum Physics
We are proving and developing e-infrastructure services, which are accessible from the following URLs:
- AFIRE: The Armenian Federation Identity for Research and Education (AFIRE) is an identity federation that gathers teaching and research institutions in Armenia. Through AFIRE, a user keeps all its information at the home institution and can access services offered by the institutions participating in the federation.
- ASNET-AM: Academic Scientific Research Computer Network of Armenia unifies Academic, Scientific, Research, Educational, Cultural and other organizations. ASNET-AM was created in 1994. The structure and policy of ASNET-AM operation was developed and realized by the Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems (IIAP) of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia (NAS RA).
- ARMNGI: The Armenian National Grid Initiative (ArmNGI) represents an effort to establish a sustainable grid infrastructure in Armenia.
Workshop on Computing and Networking
Workshop on Computing and Networking
Date: 27 September 2016, Yerevan, Armenia
Location: P. Sevak 1, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia
Participants: 50, besides local participants representatives from Leibniz Supercomputing Center (Munich, Germany), Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier (Toulouse, France), University of Pierre et Marie Curie Paris (Paris, France), Institute for System Programming of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow, Russia)
- A webinar dedicated to the RDA Europe collaboration will take in place on 10 of February, 2016 during 12:00-16:00.
The key presenters from Europe are:
Peter Wittenburg, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Germany More: more
Weigel Tobias, German Climate Center, more
Ognjen Prnjat, Greek Research and Technology Network, more
- A new service for sending a large file has been deployed at IIAP NAS RA,
the link is:
- We are happy to inform you that our EduGAIN federation was moved to production!
You can check it by opening the following url:
- We are happy to inform you that the Armenian Identity Federation available in the GEANT intranet
- Overview of ASNET-AM E-Learning services. 10/12/2015